I support the struggling reader by having the book available on tape, and the
special education teacher I have in my in-class support class takes them into
small group to support the process of using strategic thinking. I lead a group
in my other class for this same purpose. This way, they are able to to
participate in discussions about character traits, theme, setting, etc. I think
it is valuable to have a mentor text that all students can refer to as we read
other books with a common theme. For students whose reading ability may be
higher than the book, I request them to go deeper in their written reading
response.

It is the dilemma of a mixed ability classroom. I decide on the essential
knowledge that I think the kids must acquire, based on our state standards.
Then differentiate  by product, content, or process. For example, we read The
Pinballs by Betsy Byars as a whole class read. I asked students to create a
timeline of important events for any of the three main characters. They were to
choose moments that were important for a character's personal growth and
development, since determining importance in text was a strategy we had been
working on. They had to justify why an event was chosen. I was looking for at
least three major events for the character. They could present the timeline in
one of many options...a traditional timeline done on a sentence strip, a
cartoon strip timeline, a puppet show, an acted out timeline with a script or
notecards, or a song or dance. I used a rubric to guide them and to score the
work. They all did well with the reading and understanding of character deve
lopment. Some children had simple products and others were quite elaborate.
However, I feel that the essential knowledge, analyzing a character's change
through the course of the book, was adequately achieved by all.

Do you not do any whole class books with your class?
Maura
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]