Laurie,
It doesn't sound like you have done anything wrong! I think you should continue
to monitor the groups, allowing those students who still do not seem to get it
to share their observations of those who are more successful. Reflection on
what the others did and how he or she could do better the next time may help.

Third grade students are developmentally diverse, or so I found when I taught
third. Some students may just not be ready to fully take on the book club
roles.  I am now teaching fifth grade, and I find that four or five students
out of 26 come unprepared for lit circle. I have them stay at their desks
completing their role sheets before they can join the group. This way they are
still getting the in-depth analysis of the text, which, to me, is the purpose
of the roles. They are sometimes finished in enough time to join their group.
Sometimes they are not. We have class discussions about the impact on groups
when a member is not prepared. Fifth grade children are  somewhat motivated by
peers to get it together.

I have an inclusion class in which I know a couple of the children will not be
able to completely do this yet. However, they continue to benefit by seeing the
exemplary model of others. At this point in our lit circles, all students have
the same roles. So each group can see how each student completed the same job.
We have one more job to go. After that, we'll try the circles with each child
having a different job. Evaluations (self and group) are also part of the
learning process for them. This is the most structured I have been in setting
up lit circles. I have mixed feelings about  the formality of roles. The books
we use are presented as a choice within our thematic units. We are doing
"Coming of Age" now and have read ON MY HONOR and FROM THE MIXED UP FILES OF
MRS. BASIL E FRANKWEILER. When we try the lit circles with different jobs, they
can choose from BRIDGE TO TEREBITHIA or HATCHET.

Perhaps you can move away from roles. I rarely used them in third. I would
rather give all the students the same comprehension task, such as bringing
three questions and the answers or predictions. Perhaps they would need to
identify two important moments in the text for the character. This way, even if
a student did not do a thorough job, they still were lifted by those in the
groups who did better. They learned from each other and improved. I also tried
"talking chips" for groups who needed guidance in sharing the conversation.
Each student was given four two-colored counters. Each time he or she spoke,
the chip had to be placed in the center. When all of a child's chips were used,
he or she had to wait for others to use their chips before that child could
share again. I also found it easier to have everyone in the class reading the
same book. This way, we could have whole group discussions to supplement the
smaller book club meetings.

So hang in there with it. Look at what you want the children to learn from the
lit circles and focus your teaching there. You sound like you put a lot of
thought into it!
Best,
Maura
5/NJ