I don't pick specific books for this, just whatever books I am reading
within my thematic unit.  I also read some of the books from their book
baskets to
show them that those can be retold, too.  My children have two  talk
partners- front to back and side to side.  Sometimes they will pair  with the
same
partner two days in a row.  The first day, the one whose name  comes first in
the
alphabet will retell a book I have just read, then the next  day the other
partner will retell that day's book.  I have taught them to  say, "What else
happened?" and "How did the story end?" in case their partner  stops too soon.
I am doing some components of the Daily Five.  When they  do "partner
reading", the reader retells their story for their  partner.  I am close by to
help
the partner 'coach' as needed.   Jane in SC  :-)

In a message dated 2/18/2008 1:16:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,