You can definitely use smart boards for word sorts. I would start by
using Notebook to set up a template and mix up the set of words, so
the students would just drag the word under one of the headings. You
can also have students think of words that would fit in the sort and
write them on the smart board.

I know a kindergarten teacher that uses a smart board for word sorts
and she adds pictures with the words she uses. The students love using
smart board and it?s something that you can set up way ahead of time.

Isabella