Hi Shannon,

You might want to try using scrolls and textmapping.  My first work was with
middle school and high school students.  At that age they like to discover
things on their own.  Scrolls provide the perfect environment for
cooperative, discovery-based learning.  Textmapping engages students in text
and really helps them think about process -- about what comprehension is,
and how to go about building it.

Might I suggest that you go to:
http://www.textmapping.org/teacherTraining.html
On that page you will find three hands-on exercises that you could try with
your students.  They are listed under textbooks, poetry, and fiction.  The
fiction exercise is lots of fun -- and will really get them thinking -- but
it requires quite of bit of historical schema, and the scrolls are long.  So
you'll need two or three class periods to complete it.  The textbook and
poetry exercises, on the other hand, are simpler and more forgiving.

If scrolls and textmapping are new to you, you can read more about them
here:
* http://www.textmapping.org/whWorkshopNotes.html
* http://www.textmapping.org/textmapping.html

Don't hesitate to email me if you have questions.

Good luck!

Dave Middlebrook
The Textmapping Project
A resource for teachers improving reading comprehension skills instruction.
www.textmapping.org   |   Please share this site with your colleagues!
USA: (609) 771-1781
[EMAIL PROTECTED]