I am a firm believer in the power and joy of using literature circles.  I was
introduced to them about 4 years ago and I think they are the only thing that
allow me to impart a love of reading to my students.  I think it is a travesty
that we beat the strategies of reading into our students day in day out from
kindergarten forward.  I can't imagine why any of these children would ever
choose to pick up a book and read it for pleasure.

That being said, literature circles allow children to mimic adult reading, to
talk about a book, and to learn from each other.  I think you have to establish
a classroom climate of cooperation prior to beginning and this method may not
be best for all students.  You will be amazed when you are able to sit behind
the scenes and listen to your children talk about books without your prompting
or assistance.  The depth of their conversations, their desire to read and do
whatever role they have been assigned, is a powerful experience.

That being said, I did read both of Harvey Daniel's books on literature
circles, along with a book from Scholastic, but I was able to get a lot of help
from the internet.  I make literature circles whatever I need them to be in
order to comply with administrative restrictions and to make them more
manageable for myself.  I have two completely independent groups right now but
I chose the book that they are both reading.  They have chosen the next books.
They will be doing an author study so each group is going to read a book by the
same author.  There are so many things that you can do.  The research supports
the effectiveness of these groupings.  My advice is not to start off in
literature circles but to build up to them.  Build up the excitement and
anticipation for the students.  Start out small with a good picture book.
Teach each role.  Then sit with the group through the first few meetings.  If
it's working, let them fly!  As for the roles, you can change them as you see
fit.  I generally have a discussion director, a connector, a word wizard, and a
literary luminary.  For the past two years, my kids have created a new role.
Last year's class came up with the quotester and this year's class came up with
wonderful wows.

http://www.literaturecircles.com/

http://www.litcircles.org/

http://www.stemnet.nf.ca/CITE/lang_lit_circles.htm