I used the Jerry John's IRI for 12 years. I don't know if it was the 'best',
but I liked it because it was quick and easy. deb

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 12:19 PM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: [MOSAIC] Best IRI

What INFORMAL READING INVENTORY (IRI) do you prefer? I have used the
Stieglitz, Burns & Roe, Silvarolli and a few from reading textbooks. We use
the DRA for grades 1 and 2 at present but we switch to the IRI in grades 3
and 4, largely because of time constraints.

I have seen some reviews of Burns and Roe in which people feel some of the
passages are very dated. The Silvarolli (in my opinion) is the least
accurate. I like the Stieglitz for a number of reasons. Any thoughts about
any of these or other IRIs? And what about the QRI? How does it compare?

Thanks for your advice! :)