At our middle school we used to use the QRI but discontinued because the
kids had seen the passages numerous times in the elementary grades (they
were given as silent passages with kids answering quesitons in a written
format and also given to whole classes at a time).  We have been using the
Ekwall Shanker but not with everyone.  We first screen all kids with the
Aimsweb R-CBM and MAZE and using this information as well as other
measures (we also use Read 180 and SRI lexile scores-not sure I believe
this is a totally valid assessement, but one more "tool" I can use to
determine where my students are at) place kids in interventions.  If a
student is resistant to the intervention, we discuss other options at our
weekly data team meeting.  We might change the intervention or if those
options are exhausted we will only administer the Ekwall at this point to
dig deeper.  It is time consuming and difficult to administer and teach
(they will sometimes get us a half day sub, but that really isn't enough
time to give it and analyze all the information) so we really would like
to find a diagnosis tool that might be quicker but still provide the
information we are looking for.  The Ekwall does have several subtests to
assess phonemic awareness/phonological awareness/knowledge of syllables
and nonsense words/oral/silent/listening passages, etc. and even goes low
enough to assess emergent literacy skills.  Any suggestions of other
iri/assessment tools would be greatly appreciated.

Amy
reading 6-8