From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 10:34 am
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] STAR

I have used STAR for a number of years. We administer it in the computer lab,
but I only have 14 1st graders.  Before it is given I have a general idea of
where I think the child is level wise. If the STAR scor is close to my own
thinking, I start there. If there is a large desparity, I start where I think
the child is and move up or down from there. After a few weeks I feel
comfortable with each child's placement. It is my opinion that the STAR scores
are somewhat inflated. This ifs fine by me because everyone has been measured
by
the same "stick" and it is very appealing to parents.  It may be important for
you to know that STAR in no way affects a child' grade and the ultimate
decision
is always mine.
Suzanne

 On Sat Mar  8 21:19 , [EMAIL PROTECTED] sent:

>I have found it very reliable when I test the students one on one, not when I
do a mass testing in the lab. They just start picking anything unless I am
there
watching them, some I have read it to me aloud. We have lots of people say it
is
unreliable as well.