From: Jill Wadkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:52 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] STAR

Excellent Point!  Alfie Kohn wrote a book titled Punished by Rewards.  In it he
addresses AR, Book It (pizza Hut), and Six Flags Reading Club among other
things.

I agree with you regarding STAR.   Using this will only provide a level, and
not
a very accurate one at that.

Jill Waldrep Wadkins
Academic Coach
Sanders Intermediate School
770.819.2568  ext. 223

>>> gina nunley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/10/2008 1:26 PM >>>
The teachers I know who like it are those who want a quick assessment.  I also
personally feel like most of them aren't interested in truly KNOWING the child
as a reader.  Getting a reading level does not guide instruction beyond putting
the right book in their hands.  And I know more people who disagree with the
accuracy of the STAR leveling than agree with it.  If I were to use it, I would
only use it as a screener to decide who to QRI.  The other downside of STAR is
that it is almost always connected with AR reading which I abhor.  I am a sixth
grade teacher and you should hear the collective moan in my classroom from the
kids who were forced to use AR in the elementary world.  The only students I
know who liked it were the highly competitive ones who liked the leveling
(they
were also the profcient readers)  and the competition with points.  I do not
believe it ever assisted a struggling reader in becoming more proficient.

IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential.
They
are intended for the
named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager or
the sender immediately and do