how are you able to free teachers to be watching each other implement the
lesson and then debrief?

In a message dated 3/16/2008 2:56:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Right now, three of us at my school are exploring comprehension  strategy
instruction with very young children (K, 1) and also grade  3 learning
disabled
students. We are using a process called lesson  study which I have written
about
before on this list. Three of us plan the  lesson, one of us teaches while
the  others watch, then we debrief,  look at student work and adjust the
lesson
accordingly and a second  teacher teaches it.

One of the things we have found through our  explorations is that the  very
young kids and those that are learning  disabled are able to think at very
high
levels but often do not have  the language to express it completely. Thus,
finding alternative  ways to show thinking---drawings, role plays etc---while

simultaneously providing rich oral language modeling and opportunities  for
practice helps build the language kids need to express that  higher level
thinking.
I have seen K kids infer complex themes,  synthesize, and even explain  their
thinking. The key is, perhaps,  how we ask kids to express their thinking
that
may be  inappropriate.
Just another way of looking at  it...
Jennifer

In a message dated 3/16/2008 12:40:25 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,