Yes I have the book and have used bits and pieces of it I plan to devour
more of it this summer.  I like KW Ray and the sound advise she gives.
Using mentor texts is a very powerful way to drive writing instruction.  I
attended Teachers College this summer at Columbia under the direction of
Lucy Calkins and it was hands down the best thing I have ever done
professionally.  KW Ray has been a very productive member of that group of
professionals they are doing incredible work. At the writing workshop they
talked a lot about using mentor text.  I have four that my students have in
their writing resource folders and we have used them to apply numerous
skills and strategies. I heard Mark Overmeyer ( author of  *When Writing
Workshop Isn't Working* another great book) speak at CCIRA last year and he
also spoke of KW Ray's work in the field.  He said he thought he could
probably teach everything he needed to (I think he was working with 3rd or
4th graders) using *Owl Moon *text and nothing else.  At The Writing Project
at Columbia they told us it doesn't take a lot of mentor text, just some
really well chosen pieces to teach a multitude of things.