At a recent 4Blocks Leadership Conference, this question was posed to Jim
Cunningham ( husband of Pat and an "expert" himself).  His answer was that
it is completely a political issue: what the building or district expects.

Since you know him, Deb, I would imagine his personal feelings on the matter
are very much like yours.  There is no "offical" policy on this in my school
so I do just what you outlined in your response.          Suzi

Yes, you have spoken his position well.  He also stated and I agree that we
have to be careful 'what clothes we wear.'  What he meant by this was that
Board members, news media, parents who do not understand do not know or
understand about writer's development, walk our hallways.  We must wear our
best clothes out in public.  I use this analogy with my students.  When the
papers go public, they need to get fancy.

I am more than happy to send my book to my editor before it is published.  I
am also proud to say, my first editor (my father) was impressed with my
ability to writer and edit.  Then the book went to a wonderful person, the
editor who edits lots of books.  As I share the process with students, they
understand that writing is a process.  deb