There is a lovely little book by Rosemary Wells called Read to Your Bunny.
In the school I last worked in before moving to district coaching, we gifted
this book along with a copy of Mem Fox's Reading Magic (we had a grant) to
participants in a summer pre-kinder day camp.

Lori

On 4/18/08 6:01 AM, "KENNETH                   SMITH"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think a welcome packet would be a great idea. A book from A-Z might be a
> good idea so that parents can be prepared for what will be expected of their
> kids. It seems like I remember an A-Z book called "Getting Ready for School",
> but I'm not sure of the level. I think sight words might be a bit much, but
> maybe instead you could do something with the alphabet. You might be able to
> find a file folder game or an activity off of the FCRR website to produce,
> giving them a set of alphabet flashcards to manipulate. You could produce
> upper and lower case letters, some pictures with Elkonin boxes under, maybe
> filled-in, except for beginning sound - you might be able to find worksheets
> that can be laminated and then include a dry erase marker. I would also
> suggest a sentence strip (or name plate) with the child's name (first and
> last) - this, too, could be laminated for the child to practice. If you did
> want to do something with sight words, there is a great sight with a complete
> Dolch kit that can be downloaded. It's called theschoolbell.com. There are
> flashcards, a practice book, games, and phrase lists. I would think this would
> be a better welcome to first grade item, though.

I would suggest teaching the
> parents about the 5 components of reading, and then focusing them on the
> phonemic awareness area and giving them ideas of how to work with sounds with
> their kids. Again, the FCRR website has lots of info you could use.

Hope that