Does anyone do a "Kindergarten Welcome Packet" type of thing for their entering
Kindergarteners in the Spring? Our superintendent is thinking of starting this
- sort of a "Welcome to K" packet of possibly a book and/or sight words and/or
parent tips - that would be for the kids we've registered to begin K in the
fall. We'd try to get it to them before summer starts.
I'm thinking perhaps we could get a free sample level A book from
readinga-z.com (everything has to be very cheap to do it county-wide), and
possibly some parent tips from readingrockets.com  I'm not sure about the sight
words. What do you think? Should a pre-K student be studying sight words?
We're a rural, high ESL population in general, with pockets of middle class
families. Any ideas you have that can help, or if you've done something like
this before, would be greatly appreciated!
 Heather Wall/ Instructional Coach/ Georgia
NBCT 2005
Literacy: Reading - Language Arts