I too see a huge difference in lit circles and guided reading.  As said
before, lit circles are student led discussions with their questions and
ideas from a text.  I think that guided reading gets kids ready for lit
circles in that you lead these groups with a specific purpose and intention
that meets the needs of the students in that particular group.. Guided
reading should be led by you and quite purposeful.  A great resource to
learn about guided reading and its structure of a lesson is Fountas and
Pinnel.
Hope that helped