I saw it used in a school in response to a concern about an ever growing
bully problem, so that books selected were geared to generating a discussion
that could be used to focus on social skills. It did not go beyond the year,
but the books were used with students in the incoming year the following
year and classroom teachers had the books at their disposal to revisit
responsively.

Lori

On 5/15/08 9:27 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I guess I don't know enough about how this idea got started, and how it's been
> used in some schools so far. Maybe I haven't read the posts in this strand
> carefully enough. There is something about the idea that makes me
> uncomfortable, but I don't want to be critical without knowing more.
>
> I think part of it is that some schools around us are jumping on board with
> the idea, and I suspect it is because of their experiences with an
> organization called Focus on Results. I am hopeful that the ideas on the
> list-serve aren't around every classroom teaching the same reading strategy
> using the same book every month, because that is the impression I get about
> the idea as I am starting to hear about it in district schools. That sounds
> like teaching a strategy just for the sake of it, and not in regards to what
> individual students, and groups of students really need right then to continue
> developing along the continuum as readers. I hope teachers are not giving up
> their "real" read aloud time to read the community book. That would be
> certainly be a mistake.
>
> But, either way it seems like this is an idea that takes more effort than it
> is really worth. We have used a picture book that the principal bought each
> teacher a couple times to kick off the year, like Ish, by Peter Reynolds, but
> we haven't considered replicating a community read every month, year after
> year. Even though there are lots of books in the world, I suspect this would
> quickly become too contrived for my comfort level. I am happy creating our own
> classroom community over the two years I have with children. We read a lot of
> books together that make sense for us.
>
> john

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor