From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 11:11 AM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org; mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Big Words

I understand that knowing words and what words mean is really important
to making meaning. My concern is over what I have seen happen with any
of the work published by people like Isabel Beck. I don't doubt that
it's true, and I am happy to know there is not a rote hierarchy that can
be applied to learning words for example. But I still cringe every time
I see such information. District administrators, consultants, & building
principals glom onto the information as the new "answer" for their kids
scoring in the lowest quartiles.

By the time the inservice reaches the classroom teachers the intent and
the activities shared might not even match what the researchers
intended. And, teachers often are more than comfortable to take on this
new instruction ("activities") because working with words can fill a lot
of time...it's often "easier," can be more fun, and I suspect might
provide some data that would make pretty graphs. (Although I worry what
assessment piece might tell me that a 6 year-old "learned" saturate
before they "learned" soak.) And, when it isn't easier or made fun by
teachers then it can be real  torture for kids, and literally kill any
potential motivation they once had to read.

Of course we all expect the teachers who get that 1/2 inservice to also
"differentiate" instruction, so the kids who already know what saturate
means (or soak for that matter) won't have to learn again in whole group
activities. I'd much rather the kindergarten teacher in my grandson's
classroom read aloud Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs to teach him new
words (if saturate or soak aren't in there, they should be, but I'll
settle for the rest of the word choices anyway.)

Didn't Mem Fox "teach" us about the power of read loud many years ago in
Radical Reflections? I think we need to remind ourselves about that
sometimes on a daily basis, and especially when we see new research.
Because if it's good enough for my grandson, then that's what I want for
all kids.

P.S. "glom" was not a word in my spell-check, but it's a word from my
childhood in central illinois...even though I don't think I've ever seen
it in print, except when I use it.

john d.

mosaic@literacyworkshop.org wrote:
>This came through my email, and I thought it would be of interest to
many on this list. I remember many suggesting Isabel Beck for vocabulary
instruction. The link is to an article that further explains why this is
beneficial.

content go hand in hand. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org