Bev
I think it might unmuddy things a bit is to think of it this way: If we
teach those big words to ELLs and anyone else, in an appropriate way...ie with
direct experiences...with visuals...with repetitions...with time to practice
using the words in oral language through opportunities to turn and talk rather
than fill in a vocab worksheet...then I think teaching the sophisticated vocab
 pays off.  It is just making sure that we do vocab in authentic  ways.   It
is keeping the expectations  AND the support high that  makes this kind of
vocab teaching appropriate. The fun of learning big words is  that it often
feeds
a drive for kids to want to learn more of them. Just listen  to my below
level readers in third grade going around and using "fervent" and  using it
appropriately! They show off! They want more words like it! In the end,  I
think
that only helps those kids move forward.
In a message dated 6/3/2008 12:13:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,