Hi everyone,
I'm wondering how long most of you have each day for teaching language
arts?  I teach fifth grade and have about 90 minutes to teach reading
and writing.  I've basically divided it into two 45 minute blocks.
This is the first year that I am following STW and Comprehension
Toolkit, but I'm really struggling to get everything in.  In the past
I taught strategies, somewhat haphazardly, but I wasn't struggling as
much with time.  I know that with STW and the Toolkit I am doing a
better job, it is just taking so long.  I'm not sure I can speed
things up without sacrificing the depth of thinking that comes with
the lesson.  Today it took almost 35 minutes to get through the lesson
on questioning, which didn't allow much for independent practice with
the strategy.  I also try to incorporate literature discussions into
everything as I know how important talk is to reading.  Add in testing
pressure, in PA I have to prepare them for both the reading and
writing assessments (by February and early March).  Every time I think
about testing season my heart starts racing.  My scores were the pits
last year, so there is  a lot of pressure to show some improvement.  I
have that "hamster in the wheel" feeling.

I'm also struggling to get through writing workshop in the alloted
time.  I have had trouble keeping my writing workshop mini-lessons
mini.  I've always had this problem to an extent, but it just seems
worse this year.  We're working on using dialogue in narrative, which
is a difficult thing for fifth graders, as most have not used it or
been taught how to use it.  My mini-lesson turned into a maxi-lesson,
I didn't get it finished, and they didn't even have time to write.
I'm wondering if it is me or the time that is the big issue.  I'm
basically the only person in my small, rural district who teaches this
way.  Everyone else uses the basal texts for both subject, so I'm
desperately seeking some help from this group.

Thanks!
Mary