Bev,
We are partially departmentalized in our fifth grade (we are part of a
middle school this year).  I teach 2 blocks of language arts and my
own homeroom for social studies and science.  Since we switch classes,
I have to be on the same time schedule as my colleagues, which is why
the principal has to be involved in the schedule.  He is good about
trying to give us what we need, it just creates a chain reaction with
lunch, specials, etc.. if we change things much.