Wendy,

I have to say that the thing that disturbs me most about your original
post is that your principal has visited this idea again and again and
your colleagues have rejected the idea again and again and still your
principal is pushing it. Principals of schools should be giving
effective teachers the lead, and supporting them with resources, not
getting in their way.

Renee

On Oct 8, 2008, at 9:03 PM, Wendy Jensen wrote:

> Kathy,
>   Everything you have said is what I've been thinking all afternoon.
> Our principal is still "learning" his way around reading.  He is well
> meaning; however, it is clear he doesn't totally understand it all
> yet.  I think the main thing he is worried about is getting those low
> kids to benchmark on DIBELS testing and he'll try anything to make
> that happen. If that is truly the case, it makes me very sad.   On the
> other hand, I think that reading rate is one small part of the whole
> reading picture.  There has never been mention of a plan of what it
> will look like or how it will work.  He's just "throwing out ideas."
> This is why I sent this question out to everyone, because I know that
> sometimes I get on MY soapbox (and many times I warn my colleagues
> that I will be having a soapbox moment) and maybe I don't give things
> a fair chance.  I want to consider all options before deciding, but I
> can't shake the feeling that this decision would not be good for kids
> in the long run for many of the reasons you cited in your response.
> The questions you suggest are very good ones and I will be asking
> them.  Thanks!
>
> Wendy

"Painting is just another way of keeping a diary."
  ~ Pablo Picasso