YOU ARE RIGHT!!  She needs to let him develop at his own pace.
----- Original Message ----- From: "suzie herb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 6:59 PM
Subject: [MOSAIC] five year old and reading expectations

I teach grade four but have a friend who is worried about her son in his first year of school. He is five and is not reading. I keep telling her this is not a problem but we are at school whereby the expectations are set very high and there are a number of children in that class reading already and her husband is making comparisons. The child is interested in print, stories and is very verbal. He is read to every night and has been since he was born. He loves the piano and reads notes and plays. My attitude is let him be but I want to know if there is any comments from teachers at the five year old level who could give me guidance on how to help. Am I right in saying, its okay? I am worried that the child will pick up that he is ‘not doing well’ when this is perfectly age appropriate or am I behind in what is happening in kindergarten classes now? Ideas please. Suzanne

Search 1000's of available singles in your area at the new Yahoo!7 Dating. Get Started http://au.dating.yahoo.com/?cid=53151&pid=1011