Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] five year old and reading expectations

I'd phrase this questions differently.  If he were indeed being taught
reading in kindergarten, what all would he NOT be learning? That's the sad
part.  Children will read in a literate environment in their own time, but
to squander the last best year to teach the wonder of learning and the world
would be sad.

The best place to look for this answer is internationally. We are the only
nation that teaches 5-year-olds to read, and some of ours pay an enormous
price.