OK.  This is starting to make more sense.  I could see the benefit of doing
this with kids who are struggling at this level.  However, isn't this a stage
in reading development?  And could this be a result of too much emphasis on
phonics?  I guess what I'm trying to say, and this may be obvious, is that if
instruction is rich and at the child's level of need then this shouldn't be
happening.  Or is this too simplistic?  And, even in cases where the
instruction is appropriate there are still kids who struggle with this idea...
Just trying to make sense of these interventions.
Thanks,
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

Early readers without a sense of word also freely invent, neglecting the print
without a means of understanding they are doing it. I have used word counting
with kddos like this.  I always compliment them on their story (afterall, just
getting started with reading the stories in our heads generally beat the ones
on the printed page) and ask them to help me count their words first. I put
down a block for each word as I say back to the reader what they have just
'read'. We count the blocks. Then we count the words on the page. The mismatch
helps them start see the need to use the words on the page.  With a second
grade student who has a sense of one to one but is at this early stage where he
or she may be fingerpointing, not realizing that multi-syllable words get one
point can leave them muddled. I taught readers like this to slide that finger
under the word to help them see that some words are longer than others.
Sorting words by syllables works well, too.

Lori Jackson
 District Literacy Coach and Mentor
 Todd County School District
 Box 87