Leslie-
I teach 3rd graders this year.  I was a literacy coach for 7 years and I was
able to apply this is all grade levels.  If I was going to use a book to teach
from, I would have the teacher read it to the class before I used it to teach.
Now that I have my own class, I have a read aloud time every day from 11:45
until 12:05.  It is at this time I read aloud, think aloud, and we share out
thoughts and ideas about the text, the pictures, the format, etc...

Then at readers' workshop time if I want to teach something explicitly, I use
the part of the text that is a great example or model of that.  In fact,
sometimes I'll have 3 or 4 samples marked from the same or different books.
But.... I have always read the book to them before I use it as a teaching tool.
 I don't reread the entire text, only the few sentences, or pages, that are an
excellent example of what I am teaching.

I have reread entire books to the class, but only because they are beloved
favorites and the kids request to hear it again, or I thought we needed to hear
the author's message again.
Jan
We must view young people not as empty bottles to be filled, but as candles to
be lit. -Robert Shaffer> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
mosaic@literacyworkshop.org> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:17:48 -0500> Subject:
Re: [MOSAIC] Text-to-Self Mini-Lesson Question> > Jan,> This is where you lose
me. I can't seem to do this with my third graders. Once you have read the book
and done the predictions and talked about the author's craft and whatever your
strategy objective was, I can't see rereading the book. We always have a pile
of books we never seem to get to. I leave the read-alouds in the classroom
library for them to read on their own but I rarely revisit them unless I use
them for a writing lesson or a different strategy. Do you teach younger
children?> Leslie> > -----Original Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of jan sanders> Sent: Friday, November 21,
2008 6:23 PM> To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email> Subject:
Re: [MOSAIC] Text-to-Self Mini-Lesson Question> > > When I am teaching using a
mini-lesson I do not read the whole book -just the portion needed for the
mini-lesson.> That does not mean I do not read the whole book. I have read the
whole book to them -before I use it in a> mini-lesson. They are familiar with
the book and can concentrate on the lesson. It is the 2nd and third read that>
often triggers the deepest comments. Like revisiting an old friend -we know
them and are here to learn more about them.Jan> We must view young people not
as empty bottles to be filled, but as candles to be lit. -Robert Shaffer>> > >