Hi All,

Forgive me for just jumping in, but I am so stressed at the moment and need your collective wisdom. I am a candidate for National Boards (ELA Early Adolescent). (I teach 6th grade ELA.) I am now working on Entry #2 Whole Class Discussion. I have to send in 15 minutes of a video taped lesson which I will analyze and reflect upon.

I spent considerable time creating a lesson on teaching the reading strategy of metacognition using a nonfciton text. The lesson follows STW. I will model using a think aloud, have students doing think, pair, share, and then eventually having them practice with guidance. My instructional goal is for the students to interact with the text as opposed to just decoding the words---to think about their thinking. (They are having a hard time with this. Half of the class is ESL. I also have two students with ADD.)

My question/concern is this: Should I use nonfiction? It might be easier to have a whole class discussion about a piece of fiction, however, my students are fairly familiar with fiction. They *really* need help with nonfiction.

The text is a short article about child labor in Equador. (They've become very interested in child labor issues.) I'm getting nervous that the nonfiction metcognition lesson might not lend itself to the taping process.

Does anyone have any advice? Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Kim
in NC