Jennifer wrote:
We are going to begin book clubs and I was wondering if anyone has a good
website to gather vocab, comprehension questions, etc. for specific books. For
example, one of the groups will be reading 'A Boy at War, A novel of Pearl
Harbor".

Response:
I may be opening up a can of worms here, but I struggle with the requirement of
book club "jobs" each year as I invite students to form  their own book study
groups.  My goal is for students to want to group themselves based on a desire
to read a text with a small group of students whom share an interest in a
topic, genre, author, etc.  When adults form book clubs, they rarely assign
jobs of vocabulary builder, question generator, visualizer, etc.  Instead, they
aim for deep conversation about the text, author, and connections they
experience as they navigate through a book.  I want the same for my students.
So how do I, as a teacher, hold my students accountable and collect data to
assess my students' thinking?

I start by using the first several months of the year modeling what great
literary conversation sounds like and feels like - and what it doesn't.  We
practice a lot - and film ourselves having meaningful conversations.  We start
in large group, then practice with partners, and then move to small groups.  By
this time students are begging to start their own book clubs...so we do.

The first book club grouping requires a form (graphic organizer) for the first
few weeks that combines several thinking strategy responses.  After that a
simple journal entry and self evaluation is due on Friday's.  I eavesdrop quite
a bit, but I try to stay out of the conversation if at all possible.  Sometimes
I will video group meetings so students can watch how their discussions are
going and so I can view them at a later time.  When discussions go well,
students will often ask to have the video shown to the entire class.

I guess you have to determine what the purpose of book clubs are for your
classroom.  I may be totally off track, but I'm trying to keep reading as
authentic as possible and yet still maintain some form of assessment and
accountability.  I'd love to hear how other teachers are organizing book clubs
in their classrooms!

Kathy

-------------- Original message from Jennifer Olimpieri