I only use chapter books with groups of kids who have shown me that they are responsible and self-motivated readers. I treat it like a book club, where they do the reading on their own, and when we meet as a group, I coach them through a discussion. I give them a reflection response prompt or two for each segment of reading, so that they have thought about what they have read and actually have something to discuss.

Again, I only do this once I feel my students are ready for the challenge. I preteach a lot of procedures that are necessary to run a book club smoothly, as well.

Teresa

----- Original Message ----- From: "Deb Stoner" <dsto...@insight.rr.com> To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group" <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:03 AM
Subject: [MOSAIC] new to intermediate

I'm new to teaching 4th grade--coming from second/third for 15 years. Now that we are midway thru the year and a good amount of my students are on level or above. My question is this---I'm stuggling with how to incorporate longer chapter books into my guided reading sessions. It seems that by the time I get back to the group--sometimes a week later, I'm afraid students will loose momentum for the text. I've always taught my guided reading groups with shorter texts, and still do. However, I'm running out of those multi copy options from our bookroom as students move up in level . How do you keep the chapter book groups going that don't meet with you every day? Do you always assign them chapters to read on the days in between?
thanks in advance for your help
Deb
"There is no foot too small, that it cannot make an imprint on our world."