I am so happy to see the angst over RtI on our listserv these past
couple of days/weeks!!!  RtI is a great concept (help kids early - don't
just let them fail - stop over identifying for special ed, etc.) HOWEVER
the implementation of it in many states - Illinois worst of all - is the
problem.  When I posted my concerns on this listserv a couple of months
(and years) ago I received the most wonderful response from someone -
they referred me to Dr. Linda Dorn's CIM - Comprehensive Intervention
Model - for K-8 students.  Please, please check this out and send it to
every professional in our field that you know!  I had the great
opportunity to hear Dr. Dorn this past week at the Reading Recovery
Conference in Chicago, IL and she has got it figured out!   Her website
is:  www.arliteracymodel.com.  She is based in Little Rock, Arkansas and
she frequently has visitors to her schools.  She also has brought her
model to National-Louis University in Skokie, IL.  Anyone interested in
this can email me off-line for information on the summer workshops being
offered.

Lastly, again for Illinois, there is a literacy assessment called, ISEL
(Illinois Snapshot of Early Literacy) that has been officially approved
for use in the RtI model by our State Board of Education.  This is big -
because in the world of "Reading First" the ISEL was dumped - and it's a
very good literacy assessment - so we should all be very happy that it's
back and approved!!  I would love to talk to others in my state about
this and everything else RtI related.  But, I sincerely hope we keep up
this conversation nation-wide because as Renee said,  "The idea that we
need a program to provide instruction, to me, is a blatant slap in the
face to teachers, the reflection of an attitude that teachers are not
smart enough to do their jobs without a so-called expert telling them
what to do."  Well said Renee!
Carrie