Hi,
There's a book called The Daily 5 by Gail Boushey (sp) and her sister (can't
remember her name right now) but they are known as The Sisters.  They also have
a website now.  The URL is www.TheDaily5.com  Some of the stuff on it is free
and some is only accessible to members.

In a nutshell, I see the Daily 5 (read to self, read to someone, listen to
reading, work on writing, work work/spelling) as a literacy management system.
There are procedures associated with each of the Daily 5 choices and the
children are taught why we do them, what to do during that time, and that these
are critical to becoming better writers and readers.  The sisters stress
urgency and building stamina.  The children have choices within each Daily 5.
The onus is on them not the teacher as in traditional centers and this allows
the teacher to conference one-to-one and to work with small groups.

Hope this helps.
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt within the heart.
—Helen Keller

Visit my blog, A Teacher's Ruminations, and post a message.
http://waingortgrade2spanishbilingual.blogspot.com/

Would anyone be able to fill me in about the Daily Five?  I don't know anything
about it.  Thanks!