A few weeks ago someone mentioned the book Read Right! by Dee Tadlock. They
said they used it for intervention ideas.  I purchased the book and have been
reading it.  It makes a lot of sense to me.  The premise in the book is that we
create some reading problems in students because they actually do what we teach
them to do, read word by word and pay only attention decoding, comprehension
for these children is secondary because they program their brains for the word
recognition they are doing.  Dr. Tadlock started by studying kids that teach
themselves to read and looked at what good readers do.  I believe in teaching
kids decoding...but as soon as a student doesn't need that crutch and begins
reading for the meaning why would we keep insisting that they point to each
word and decode word by word or sound by sound.  Isn't that what directed
instruction does.  It doesn't take into account individual differences, doesn't
it put emphasis on the wrong thing...decoding...not meaning?  When I worked
with 1st graders we always stressed working with meaning and used the phonics
for one way to figure out an unknown word...not the end all.  Isn't direct
instruction oral exercises in sounds...couldn't that better be taught within
meaning at different levels as needed by students.  Some kids learn to read
without any formal phonics instruction, yet they know sounds of letters, etc.
How?  Isn't that what we should be looking at.  I would really question why
direct instruction would be needed...practice, repeated readings, guided
reading to scaffold, yes...but how can you make decisions for each child by
following a script.  Then we might as well be robots.

Kay Kuenzl-Stenerson
 Literacy Coach
 Merrill Middle School

Are all our students exceeding at the highest level they can succeed at?  If,
not, we have work to do.