I just held a Parent University for my classroom last night.  I covered
fluency, reading comprehension (before, during, and after strategies:
predicting, connecting, questioning), and summer reading.

Station 1:  Fluency
I assessed each student's WCPM and overall fluency and then shared with the
student and parent how the score ranked with norms for 3rd graders at this time
of the year.  I also shared with parents a list of tips for increasing fluency
as well as additional information about what fluency is.

Station 2:  Reading Comprehension
This station taught parents how to read with their children to enhance
comprehension.  I provided a guide for before, during, and after reading
specific to a story that I provided time for them to read . . . but with the
understanding that the same structure should be applied to other fiction reads.

Station 3:  Summer Reading
Here, students and parents worked together to come up with three summer reading
goals.  If 2 of the 3 goals are met and the goal sheet is returned at the
beginning of next year, those students names will be put in a drawing for a
Hastings gift card.  Students also made a bookmark at the center and received a
list of recommended books for third graders.

If you have additional questions or ideas for how I could improve my Parent
University please feel free to ask/share.

Whitney Hamilton, Third Grade
Kit Carson Elementary
450 Tates Creek Road
Richmond, KY  40475