My sixth graders loved a Poetry Coffee House.  They memorized another poet's
poem and one of their own because we had just completed personal poetry books.

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought the little stand alone "candle" lights and
votives.  We put tablecloths over groups of desks to create cozy little tables
with the candle in the center.  Parent Volunteers were in the hallway with the
"coffee shop" and tables of kids left to get their chocolate coffee between
performances.  The kids had also contributed goodies to eat with their choco
coffee.

You do not want to be managing the drinks and goodies so be sure to arrange
parent volunteers early.  It was a bit of a challenge to get the hot chocolate
made, so the mothers were there early heating up a big coffee pot, and filling
cups with powder so they could quickly add hot water and top it off with whip
cream.

Bongo players introduced the next poet, and there was a stool for the
poet to sit on.  In the past I was fortunate to have kids with
blacklights but they seem to be fading out of style.

The biggest pleasure for me was the fact that the personal poems were the best
loved, and kids volunteered to do it again.  You also want to do some modeling
and practice of how to deliver a poem orally.  Your hams will do the beatnik
dress and style.

I will warn you that you have to have some standards of length or much of the
class will chose a short poem and you're done in a half hour and they don't
truly experience the power of a well done poem.

Have fun!