First, let me say that I agree that 'combatting' is not the right word.
'Responding' is really what I meant. I, too, believe that these teachers
have the absolute best intentions and their students gain a lot from these
experiences. Lori, one distinct difference you stated in your response was
that you brought social studies into reading, while I think the opposite is
happening at my school. I COMPLETELY agree that reading and writing should
be a central element to content areas. I could not imagine teaching social
studies without tradebooks, journal writing, etc. However, passing a journal
writing assignment off as their writing instruction does not count to me as
their writing workshop lesson.

Aren't content areas better used for assessing reading and writing, rather
than teaching it? Social studies is one way I see if my students can apply
the reading strategies taught in reading; to see if they can transfer good
writing strategies into their social studies writing assignments. Yet,
social studies does not replace my reading workshop or writing strategy
instruction.

I guess the larger question is: do you let a thematic unit guide your
reading workshop? If thematic units are central to your reading workshop,
how do you weave strong strategy instruction into it?

Thanks for your support through this.

Andrea