Has anyone tested her reading comprehension in her native language?

Cathy

Title I Reading

-----Original Message-----
From: Emily Welch <ewe...@jones.k12.ar.us>
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Wed, 27 May 2009 10:07 am
Subject: [MOSAIC] How to teach comprehension to fluent reader

I am a third grade teacher with a class made up largely of English
language learners .  I have one student who has continuously
challenged me this year.  She is a fluent reader (latest assessment
on a grade level text was 97% accuracy and 106 wcpm), but her
comprehension is terrible.  Even when I allow her to use a book to
retell/answer questions/etc, she still struggles with even the most
basic of comprehension skills.

I have tried a variety of things throughout the year that my other
students seem to benefit from, but I just haven't found what works
for this particular student.

Please let me know of any strategies you have found that work to
help an already fluent reader comprehend what she is reading.

Thank you!!!

Emily Welch
Third Grade
Russell Jones Elementary