I just want to thank Suzie for such a thoughtful, clear, and excellent
response! You really taught me something about the complexity of teaching an
ELL student to read.
----- Original Message -----
From: "suzie herb" <sz_h...@yahoo.com.au>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:22:04 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] How to teach comprehension to fluent reader

I wonder what you are using to test her reading comprehension. If you are using
the DRA you will find her just right reading level. It will be at a low level
yes, but the starting point for building comprehension. The test will also
enable you to see very clearly just what it is this child needs in terms of
what her strengths are and what the focus for her should be. You might find for
example that she does have a good 'literal' understanding but is unable to use
context clues to build on 'inference'. It's really a matter of pin pointing
just what aspect of comprehension is the difficulty or working on what the
priority will be and going from there in your support of her. It might be as
simple as her not being able to make connections at all. How much of what you
are really saying to her in class is understood I wonder? There is a huge
amount of literature on what EAL learners need to develop reading comprehension
skills and the difference
in approach that is needed. The comprehension of EAL learners is not based on
their inability to understand what they have read but an understanding of
language. If you think about your own language learning experiences, or if you
have not learnt a language, try reading something in Indonesian for example.
Even with no understanding it is easy to read and there are enough words for
you to get a really good idea of what the text might be about. But, how much
you understand is not based on your ability to read, that is the easy part. The
issue is that so many of our EAL kids blitz the 'reading' part and parents jump
up and down with joy saying, 'they can read English'..But they are not reading
as such. Our school has actually developed a reading/writing continuum for EAL
students which helps guide the teacher in knowing what skills need to be built
upon whilst identifying what is being used by the student on s regular basis.
It has long been
established through research by Cummins (1996) and others that an ESL student
starting primary school with little or no English can take from 5–7 years to
reach the same level of English as his or her age-equivalent peers. Adolescent
students are generally able to make more rapid progress in language development
in the initial stages than young children....all factors that need to be
considered when teaching reading.