The Sisters' CAFE book addresses the teaching and practice of comprehension,
accuracy (word attack), fluency & vocabulary strategies during workshop. It
was just published a couple months ago, and is available in the usual places
(Stenhouse, Amazon, B&N). I've skimmed the entire book, and am now going
back to really read it. I'm several chapters in, and it sounds very doable.
There is a discussion going on in the Yahoo The Daily Five group.

Melissa/VA/2nd