From: Jan Sanders <jgou...@hotmail.com>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wed, Jun 17, 2009 12:42 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] TRENDS and ISSUES In Literacy Pedagogy

Robert Marzano is wonderful for academic vocabulary. As a literacy coach I did district wide staff development (3, 3 hour sessions) using his Building Academic Background Knowledge work. He did some work in conjunction with Stanford University and a brain researcher. He has DVDs, one that explains the research and a rep from Stanford (can not remember the name and it is probably some big shot) and the brain guy both speak on it. It gives the WHY we should teach academic vocab. There is also another DVD that has the
6 step process for teaching vocabulary.
There is a book too -paperback 8 1/2 x 11.  I believe the DVDs are quite
pricey -they come together.  They are published by ASDC (Association for
Supervision and Curriculum Development).
Jan
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your
grandmother.
-Albert Einstein