I've heard it said that "topics" are small are ofte single words.  Themes are
connected and must be stated in a sentence.

From: thomas <sally.thom...@verizon.net>

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:10:15
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email
Group<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] TRENDS and ISSUES In Literacy Pedagogy -anything else
 new and exciting?

Joy,

So just bouncing off of academic vocab and RTI and on and on, thematic
teaching is a big answer in my view.  When we teach thematically, we can
involve kids in inquiry at many different levels of reading and writing and
research and modes of communication.  This allows us to differentiate while
they have a common overarching theme - thus ALL can contribute in authentic
ways. And vocabulary is going to be benefited in huge ways....because the
words are all connected and thus easier to learn because they are meaning
based.  And they are used over and over throughout the reading and writing
and so on.

So thematic teaching is a big overarching picture that often never gets
mentioned in all this focus on different aspects of literacy!!! AND THANK
YOU FOR BRING US BACK TO THIS IMPORTANT FOUNDATION FOR LEARNING.

I teach in an American Indian school as I've mentioned.  This fall the whole
school is focusing on oceans initially.  So I've started playing with all
the ideas.  My social studies focus is communities...and I'm thinking that
connects with the ocean as an interconnected community of living things.
I'm also thinking of oceans being interconnected to planet earth so taking
care of the ocean matters.  Native American connections - the emphasis "we
are all connected."  and I can use a number of traditional American Indian
stories centered on the sea.  I found a book by the son of a friend "All the
Way to the Ocean" connected to Save our Seas Foundation with tons of
activities and links and resources and that definitely brings activism to
the front.  And then the issue of salmon and dams and use of water are
critical issues to Native Americans in California (and further north)right
now.  In fact, the dams are coming down as a result of Native American
activism.  And on and on and on and so exciting.

And I can teach differences between fiction and non fiction and bring us
back to community and still focus on interconnections by using Swimmy and
Rainbow Fish and use those to be teaching some reading....in addition to all
our non fiction.  Even thinking about a contrast between NEMO AND A NEW
MOVIE COMING TURTLE:  can't quite rmemeber the title but it's non fiction
and will be out this year.

EGAD THIS IS ALL SO MUCH FUN.  Now I will need to start pinning this down
to the actual days and shape of the unit for my second and third graders.

But just think.....this is so ideal for RTI and differentiation and building
vocabulary and teaching all the language arts strategies and skills as
well as social studies and science.

This is why we need to go back to thematic teaching and many of the
approaches so advocated in whole language.  We will not neglect the skills.
We can of course do phonics and words families and fluency.  But our
foundation is a meaning-centered inquiry into something that matters!

Sorry I am just flat out getting so excited to be back to an elementary
classroom in a place that values meaning-centered learning.

Good luck Joy.  I know you will do the same.  Of course I thought at first
that oceans was just a topic.  But when I then crank it up to "we are all
connected" the universe is possible..

Sally