After you read Sally, ask yourself -- transmission or construction?  That will
take you right to the essence of theme study.

From: thomas <sally.thom...@verizon.net>

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:28:18
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email
Group<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] themes

Hi Joy, Beverlee, etc.

I got some of my ideas about developing inquiry yes from Harste, Burke and
Barbara Flores and others from that wonderful connected group of educators
many of whom are directly connected to the Goodmans and each other(thinking
here there were some great articles in the Whole Language Catalog)...But I
also got ideas from Coalition of Essential Schools and maybe they were
influenced also by the above.  Whatever, a useful way to think about
themes....especially those that lead to an inquiry stance is to ask
"essential questions."  Find the overarching question (or several
interrelated questions) that is rich and authentic, keeping in mind the
interests and developmental levels of your children and yes, sometimes, even
the expected "curriculum" at your grade level.  In other words you gain
little by working against the science or social studies focus of your grade
level per your particular state.  (Some would differ with me here and its
not like sometimes I didn't ignore that as well)

It would sometimes take me weeks to figure out what the big question was,
one that would include the concepts and strategies and knowledge that I
wanted to cover.  Phrasing it as a question I think automatically turns it
to a sentence rather than a simple topic.  Even if you start with a topic,
if you turn into a question it pushes you on that inquiry journey and to
deeper thinking about the topic.  For example, your students would like to
study horses.  Ask why do horses play such a central role in the life of
some Native American nations?  Remember our Mosaic work and how learning to
ask  good questions is more important than giving right answers??

Next I think through the concepts(deeper understandings) I expect children
to learn through this inquiry.  Then I figure out the critical knowledge
that they'll work with.  Yes, knowing "some" stuff, some facts is important.
But this forces me to narrow this down to pivotal knowledge, not just
collections of facts, dates etc. that could be tested on a multiple choice
test!

Then I think through the skills and strategies they'll use to accomplish
their inquiry - group and individual.

Then and possibly throughout I consider the underlying values and
assumptions underlying my plan and consider how they might emerge in the
children's work.  I always ask myself the social justice, fairness kind of
questions here.  How will different perspectives be privileged in this work?
How will I respect the diverse children in my class and so on?

Then I figure out how I will assess how we are accomplishing, whether we did
accomplish (formative and summative assessment) and I run that back through
All of the above to add, delete, refine etc.

Then I begin work on resources and particular ways to begin the unit and so
on.  In some ways, this last step is where I used to start my planning.  But
doing all the other thinking above results in much better teaching and
learning I think.  It is open to emerging understandings and information
because I start with the stance that the question is a real one for me, not
just the children.

Gosh, sorry if I've gone on to long.  It just always help to think through
what we're doing and I love it that the whole question
 of themes has emerged here.

Sally