Our district looked at it as the perfect differentiated "program" (I don't
believe writers' and readers' workshop to be programs.  I think of them as
structures).  The mini lessons are whole group, but in conferring you can
meet each child where they are and push them forward.  If children need
lessons on voice, you go there.  I also think of Calkins' lessons as a guide
-a starting place.  Just as in anything you do, you gear the lessons to what
your students need.  I never taught from a teacher's manual lock-step
either.

Jan

*****************************************************************************>>
*
>> **********************
>> This e-mail message contains information that may be privileged or
>> confidential and
>> is the property of the Board of Education of Deerfield Public School District
>> No. 109.
>> It is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not
>> the
>> intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print,
>> retain,
>> copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If
>> you
>> have
>> received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and
>> delete all
>> copies of this message.

>> Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.
>>

> Jan
> Unless we reach into our students¹ hearts, we have no entry into their
> minds.
> -Regie Routman

> **********************
> This e-mail message contains information that may be privileged or
> confidential and
> is the property of the Board of Education of Deerfield Public School District
> No. 109.
> It is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not
> the
> intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print,
> retain,
> copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you
> have
> received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and
> delete all
> copies of this message.

Jan
We must view young people not as empty bottles to be filled, but as candles
to be lit.
-Robert Shaffer