From: mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf Of Lisa Szyska
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 8:07 PM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] comments on lucy calkins UOS

Well, I can see 2nd grade teachers in an upper middle class school w/little or
no ELL feeling like the K-2 units were a little light for them.  If I hadn't
had such a low class when I taught 2nd, they would have needed major
supplementation.  And I believe that every single primary unit was written and
piloted in a kindergarten or 1st grade room in NYC. But the 3-5?!  There are
some seriously rigorous units there.  And the upper grade teachers have
Fletcher and HE'S too easy!?  I'd love to see some of these kids' writing
samples that they can't benefit from the crafting lessons from Ralph Fletcher
or Lucy Calkins.  Punctuation and grammar?!  Who can't figure that out?
My 2 cents...
lisa
3/IL