What is the cost of the Orton Gillingham program/materials?  Was this funded
by your school?

Ann Schaefer

-----Original Message-----
From: mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf Of djchan
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 8:47 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] What is the best reading program?

Wilson and Saxon and Sonday  are programs designed to help students with
phonics. They are specifically for struggling readers or students with
learning challenges. They are based on the methods and philosophy and
research of Dr. Samuel T. Orton and his assistant Anne Gillingham. To become
certified in OG you must take a 100 hour college level class, that lasts
approximately two weeks and then do a 1 year internship in which you tutor a
child using these methods and have a trainer observe and critique your work.

It is not a state certification that I know. I am OG certified at the
associate level which means I can plan and develop lessons for individual
students based on their needs. Wilson and Sonday  and Saxon are copyrighted
programs that you purchase as kits with materials and scripts for teaching,
much like Saxon. A certified OG teacher writes their own lessons using
materials received in the workshop and in their classroom. It can be used in
the classroom setting with small groups but because it is a multi-sensory
approach to learning to read it is difficult to implement in a large group.

The best reading program is the one you use and modify to meet the needs of
your students. I don't believe there is a one size fits all program. All
reading programs need modifications to meet students needs. Teachers need to
know how to adapt programs so higher readers are challenged and lower
readers aren't bored. It is like walking a tightrope at times, a balancing
act that lasts a year.

Deidra Chandler
MA Early Childhood Ed.
MA Reading
OG-multisensory language intervention tutor