**How long do you spend explicitly teaching each different type of

> connection?

I try to pay attention to the responses that the majority of the class gives
during whole group discussions, but typically plan on spending no more than
a week on each type. Then more teaching happens during individual
conferences for children who are still struggling with these strategies.

> **How do you move from "basic" connections to showing students connections
> that are really more meaningful? (move from "I have a dog" to "My dog acts
> that way when he isn't feeling well too.")

Debbie Miller has a couple of lessons in Reading With Meaning that I found
helpful (making a list of children's connections, then going back to decide
if each connection helps us understand the story better--kind of a simple
rating). This does take time, I've found.

> **What do you do for making students accountable for looking for
> connections
> in text?

I like to use post-its, but usually confine this to strategy group
lessons/meetings, rather than individuals doing it. However, I would use
post-its or another recording system if a child was struggling, and would
also focus on this strategy during conferences.

> **How do you keep this from interrupting the flow of students' normal
> reading patterns? (This may tie into the discussion recently of Readicide)

I haven't found a good answer for this!

> **Do you do anything to share these strategies with parents so that they
> can
> use them at home?

I usually send home a half-sheet note telling what we're working on and how
they can help.

Melissa/VA/2nd