Hi Leslie,
I think it is possible to read a book and not make any deep or meaningful
connections.  That's when our reading is superficial and almost not worth our
time.  I'm not sure we make no connections when we read, however.  I think when
our connections are weak or there are few of them, it could be due to our lack
of schema or exposure to whatever we're reading.  When I lived in Ecuador I had
a housekeeper.  I'd never had one in my life before then.  I am reading The
Help right now and can make many connections because of that experience.  I
have a different perspective.  My schema is richer and my feelings surrounding
the connections are more emotionally charged.  I think my reading of this novel
would be different if I had little or weak connections to the book.  Make sense?
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt within the heart.
—Helen Keller

Visit my blog, A Teacher's Ruminations, and post a message.
http://waingortgrade2spanishbilingual.blogspot.com/

Isn't it possible for students to read a book and not make any connections?

Leslie - Grade 3
lstew...@branford.k12.ct.us