Nancy Atwell - books and articles - my best and original source as a
fifth/sixth grade teacher!!

I wrote an article for The Reading Teacher - think in 96 describing my
experience of using some of Atwell's ideas and integrating that with the
research on intrinsic motivation that I was also doing at the time. There
are of course others.  I remember I  loved Cora Lee Five's article - forget
which journal.  And there is lots in the current literature.  Now one of my
favorite resources is a book on Reading Workshop - can't remember the title
and don't have it here with me on vacation but could send it when I get back
to school.  It's comprehensive and awesome and we bought it for all the
teachers at our school - every grade level adapted slightly for the very
young and for high school.

 A lot of people don't really understand the intrinsic motivation research -
and I didn't at the time I was teaching but was using approaches like
Atwell's and Calkins et al on writing and taking basically a whole language
stance as a teacher. Penny Oldfather did her dissertation in my classroom
with kids as co-researchers focusing on intrinsic motivation for learning.
(She and I and the children went on the do research together for the next 6
years funded by the National Reading Research Center.)  That's when I
discovered the many many years of research in t he field of motivation that
I had never really known (Had always thought of motivation as more fun and
rewards etc. which didn't really light my fire!).  Seems that the research
on intrinsic motivation and the practices I (and of course many others) was
using went hand in hand.  The arguments sometimes seem counterintuitive to
people - like extrinsic rewards (not just punishment) reduce intrinsic
motivation.  But check it all out.  A quick way in is to read Alfie Kohn's
Punished by Rewards.  It's super readable but he actually documents well the
scholarly research on the subject.

Just remember the big three findings from Deci and Ryan's meta-analysis of
half a century's worth of research on motivation.

Competence, choice (autonomy, and connectedness

Those were my big mantra.  We are intrinsically motivated when we feel
COMPETENT.  That's the Goldilocks research - not too hard, not too easy,
just right.  And in more academic words, working in the zone of proximal
development ala Vygotsky!  How educators assess also figures in here because
of course assessment/response lets us know how we're doing from the outside.
The kinds of feedback children receive is important - see all the writing
educators here on authentic formative assessment including self assessment.

Second we are more motivated when we feel autonomy - that we can have a say
over what happens to us.  For me this means CHOICE.  And the research says
it doesn't always have to be total choice.  But we do need a say!

CONNECTEDNESS has to do with the social nature of learning so the social
environment of the classroom where children learn from and with each other
is important.  And I include relevance as another kind of connectedness.
Children need to see their learning connected to the world outside of
school, to their lives.

So you see a reading workshop approach fits all of these as does writing
workshop.  As does I should add whole language theory and practice!!!

Sally

PS let me know if you want me to send the title of the book...