Sorry to ask such a simple question, but what is text mapping?

-----Original Message-----
From: mosaic-bounces+wrob=shaw...@literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-bounces+wrob=shaw...@literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf Of Diane
Baker
Sent: July-31-09 6:21 AM
To: Dave Middlebrook; Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] anecdotal data

I am a fifth grade teacher in CT and used text mapping during social
studies. It was incredibly successful and well-received by all of my
students. The struggling students enjoyed the group interaction and
discussion based around the mapping, while the higher students enjoyed the
highlighting best and hunting for different non-fiction conventions. The
most amazing part for me was that when we broke into groups to read the
chapter, the students were calling upon what they learned during mapping for
their discussions. It was a great way to learn vocabulary and to study how
to read non-fiction more effectively. We did three whole class mappings,
then were able to do smaller versions during our guided reading time. During
GR we used highlighting tape directly in the book...overall a very positive
experience for us all - thanks Dave!!