Hi Jennifer,
I do a lot of observing/conferencing as my modes of assessment at the beginning
of the year and I'm planning on sticking to that for the most part.  I may do
some spelling assessment earlier than I usually do this year so that I can get
my kids started on their individualized work work.  I start my reading workshop
in English with read to self also and move on to the other choices:  read to
someone, and listen to reading.  I do a separate writing workshop that I
introduce on the first or second day of school.  I will include work work
lessons here for the most part.

I plan to start with metacognition but just lots of modeling even before that
as well as setting the tone of all the wonderful literature, both fiction and
non fiction that is out there for us to access.  I am planning to read the CAFE
book before school starts to see if and how I can use any of this through my
mini lessons connected to comprehension instruction.  It seems like I will be
able to just from reading others' comments on this but I don't want my reading
workshop to become too rigid and inflexible.  We'll see.

45 minutes for word work every day seems like a really long time.  Everyone
I've ever read on this topic advocates no more than 10 - 15 minutes/day and
some even less than that.  What was the thinking behind that?  Just curious.
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt within the heart.
—Helen Keller

Visit my blog, A Teacher's Ruminations, and post a message.
http://waingortgrade2spanishbilingual.blogspot.com/

Elisa

You wanted to know how I am going to start strategy instruction this year?
Well, first things first, I am going to do a little assessment. I am only
working in grades 2 and 4 this year but for a longer period of time. We have
a  new Language Arts framework and the teachers will have 45 minutes of
word work  and then 1 hour of Comprehension Strategy Instruction (CSI). In the
word work  block, we can work on vocabulary, word structure, and yes,
phonics skills.   In CSI, we teach our not-so-voluntary Voluntary State
Curriculum...so I will  want to see where the kids are after the summer so I
can meet
their needs.

I am going to use the techniques in the Daily Five Read to Self block to
help kids build stamina and then use the goal setting and assessment process
from The CAFE book to determine kids needs. Since I coteach and we have two
 teachers in one classroom, we can get a lot of mileage with our
conferences...and can use them for a lot of one on one teaching. We will also
pull
small groups of kids with similar needs for strategy instruction.

SO...I am not going in with the typical strategy routine...I used to  begin
with metacognition and then making connections, etc. I am going to start
with setting up reading workshop and then assess and teach on more of a needs
 basis.
Jennifer
steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)