Hi Jennifer,
Yes, compromise seems to be the word of the day.  If only the feds would
discover that word and compromise with teachers not business executives...

Thanks for explaining about the lengthy word work time.  It sounds like there
are ways to get around it.  Given what I know about D5 and the Sisters, this
makes sense.  I do look forward to reading the CAFE book.
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt within the heart.
—Helen Keller

Visit my blog, A Teacher's Ruminations, and post a message.
http://waingortgrade2spanishbilingual.blogspot.com/

Elisa
A lot is folded into that word work time...including spelling,
handwriting, vocabulary instruction, etc. This framework  is new to our
teachers and
what I am recommending to them that this time is NOT about  decontextualized
drills..etc. I would expect that if we are spelling words  with ed endings
for spelling this week, we would be reading poems with ed  words in them,
etc. They should be reading during this time too.

We do have to use the Harcourt Storytown series and they actually
recommend more time for word work. I was on the committee that made the
allocations
for minutes of instruction and believe me, compromises were made  all
around.

What I think you will like about CAFE is that it provides a structure for
you to keep track of your conferences and to record student needs. To me,
that  is the best part of it...it will totally streamline what I did as record
 keeping for reading conferences and keep me far better organized. It is
just  so practical and doable. (Of course, I haven't done it yet...but I am
excited  to try it and see how it works for me!)

Hi Jennifer,
I do a lot of observing/conferencing as my modes of  assessment at the
beginning of the year and I'm planning on sticking to that  for the most part.
I may do some spelling assessment earlier than I  usually do this year so
that I can get my kids started on their individualized  work work.  I start my
reading workshop in English with read to self also  and move on to the
other choices:  read to someone, and listen to  reading.  I do a separate
writing workshop that I introduce on the first  or second day of school.  I
will
include work work lessons here for the  most part.

I plan to start with metacognition but just lots of  modeling even before
that as well as setting the tone of all the wonderful  literature, both
fiction and non fiction that is out there for us to  access.  I am planning to
read the CAFE book before school starts to see  if and how I can use any of
this through my mini lessons connected to  comprehension instruction.  It
seems like I will be able to just from  reading others' comments on this but I
don't want my reading workshop to  become too rigid and inflexible.  We'll
see.

45 minutes for word  work every day seems like a really long time.
Everyone I've ever read on  this topic advocates no more than 10 - 15
minutes/day
and some even less than  that.  What was the thinking behind that?  Just
curious.
Elisa

steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)